Pre-arrival and check-in
Hipster meets industry-chic. Ovolo Southside is a boutique hotel with a difference. I loved the quirky, colourful ambience of the place – right from the egg (an Ovolo symbol) installation at the entrance to the striking wall art adorning the hotel, all of which has been done by local artists. Being a former industrial building, the hotel has a slightly grungy feel to it, but not too much as to put off the regular business traveller. The Lo Lounge is the focal point of the hotel, where you can work, network or just relax. There are several work desks here with some cool light fixtures, and a pool table if you want to take a break.
The elevators are also decorated with funky designs & the best part is the elevator music – retro stuff from the 70s and 80s, which really gets you bopping & singing along 🙂
I had a deluxe queen room on the 22nd floor and it certainly was a room with a view! Check out the video above for a walk-through.
The room is large for HK standards – a nice seating area with a couch, centre table and an Apple TV. In keeping with the industrial chic feel of the place, there are exposed pipes overhead.
The bed was super-comfy, with crisp cool sheets and a choice of pillows. Unlike many hotels, Ovolo actually has plug points on either side of the bed – what a revolutionary idea 😉 I don’t understand hotel room designs that are stingy and provide one or two power outlets, and rarely near the bed. I really liked the attention to these little details that make life easier for the guests. The metal ‘trunk’ next to the bed had bathroom slippers, a fabulous, salon-quality hair dryer (extra brownie points), and a takeaway tote bag, which was a nice touch as well. Storage space is a bit limited but there are plenty of hangers for your clothes.
Ovolo Southside’s CIRQLE restaurant on the 4th floor has a lively, modern bistro feel to it with a gorgeous outdoor terrace. Breakfast is served here, and there’s an à la carte menu for lunch & dinner. Food is fresh, flavourful & international. The sliders are fab – both the pulled pork and the veggie ones.
On the 24th floor is the edgy bar, ABOVE, which gives fantastic views of the city, the neighbouring hills and the snaking MTR below. Have a drink here before you head out to paint the town red 😉
The F Word
- Free, high-speed Wi-Fi – no more excruciatingly slow downloads or buffering videos, yay! I like the cheeky message on the Wi-Fi login page ->
- Free breakfast – pick from a selection of juices, croissants, muesli, eggs to order, congee (local HK breakfast staple) and more
- Free 24-hour coffee and snacks at the lounge – and it’s excellent coffee, not some machine spewed swill
- A goodie bag of snacks in your room on arrival – chips, candy etc.
- Free mini-bar – yes, that’s right! If you want to kick back with a bottle of Tsingtao at the end of a long day, just open the fridge
- Free happy hours – drinks flow from 5 to 7 pm every evening in the Lo Lounge where you can relax and mingle with the other guests
- Free self-laundry – this is a boon if you’re travelling for several days and want to pack light. Hotel laundry services are uniformly overpriced, so giving access to self-service laundromats is an excellent move on Ovolo’s part
- Free gym access – which is open 24 hours, so you don’t have to compromise on your fitness routine while travelling
Convinced yet? The next time you’re travelling to Hong Kong, stay at Ovolo Southside. Book directly on the Ovolo Southside website for the best rate & a free upgrade if you’re lucky. Ovolo Hotels has 4 other properties in different parts of Hong Kong, plus a building with serviced apartments in central HK. Take your pick here.